With COVID-19, more employers and workers have been thinking about safety. But safety doesn't just involve COVID. Respirators, hard hats, gloves, safety glasses, and more are all critical to keeping workers safe.
It's also not just safety that helps employees. Looking at ergonomic issues (how workers complete tasks) can help, too. The idea is to make the tasks as easy as possible on the workers, reducing strain and injury.
Fortunately, there are a variety of things employers can do to ensure they're keeping production running and facilities safe.
Why is ergonomics important?
The Bureau of Labor Statics (BLS) indicated in 2013 that musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) — impacting muscles, nerves, blood vessels, ligaments, and tendons — accounted for 33% of all worker injury and illness cases. These worker injuries and illnesses can strain businesses – reduce available resources (including those who have specialty skills), impact production, and increase worker’s compensation claims.
Personnel issues, slowed production, and worker’s compensation can all affect the bottom line.
What is ergonomics for your business?What your workers are doing in your industry may vary. But for painting and finishing, ergonomics may include ...
- Reducing repetitive tasks
- Purchasing higher quality triggers and guns work to reduce hand and wrist strain
- Providing gloves to reduce vibrations on the hands, safety glasses that can as readers for detail paint jobs, and ear protection
Larger organizations have ergonomic specialists that can help with safety. What do they do? They ensure your workforce receives training and can identify issues.
Ways to improve safety
Outside of ergonomics, paint spills (slips and falls as well as corrosive or caustic material), paint fumes, noises, and other issues could cause serious injury. Here are a few ideas to improve safety.
- Follow OSHA standards
- Provide training and post information
- Enable workers to report anonymously, protecting whistleblowers while ensuring safety is followed
- Use safety committees to review best practices and help resolve problems
- Purchase the right safety gear, working with a wholesale distributor who understands your industry and the issues
Use the right products
At Finish Systems and Lane Supply Company, we have the right products, including the following.
The right products include:
- Gloves to protect against caustic substances
- Spray suits to protect faces, bodies, and clothing
- Sanitizers and masks to follow COVID laws for your city and state